doc marten brogue boots late winner ousts Folkestone

Dover Athletic 2, Folkestone Invicta 1

FOLKESTONE Invicta’s sorry run continued on Monday night when they went down to a late goal in their Dr Martens League Cup, first round, tie against local rivals Dover. Invicta have now gone 13 matches without a win as they were beaten for the eighth time this season.

Millar opened the scoring from the edge of the penalty area after 37 minutes when Darren Smith played the visitors’ first corner of the game back to him.

Dover captain Danny Chapman had led the home protests after the initial award of the corner as he slid in with goalkeeper Alan Williams when James Dryden shot inches wide following a great ball from Smith.

But Dover began to get on top after the interval, and Matt Carruthers levelled the scores after 52 minutes when he raced through and fired the ball into the roof of the net. With extra time looming, Carruthers played a part in Dover’s winner after 88 minutes, when he fed Simon Glover who shot across goal and into the net.

Invicta had been forced into changes as they went into the game without Martin Chandler (dislocated shoulder),
dr martens 1b99 late winner ousts Folkestone
John Guest (rib injury) and Scot Daniels (work commitments).

Lee Dyson came into the heart of the defence alongside Anthony Henry and Scott Lindsey and young striker John Ayling was given his first start of the season.

Before Millar’s goal, the highlight of the first half was a vintage save by 39 year old Invicta goalkeeper Maurice Munden, which produced applause from both sets of supporters as he tipped Tom Hickman’s shot onto the crossbar for a corner after 32 minutes.

Dover made a purposeful start to the second half and got their reward with Carruthers’ equaliser.

There were chances at both ends after 76 minutes when Ayling ran dangerously at the Dover defence and played a one two with Allan Tait, while Hickman spooned a clear chance over the crossbar when Dover substitute Michael Buster’ Smissen broke down the right flank.

It was now end to end stuff as another Millar free kick from 25 yards flew just wide after 84 minutes following a foul on Tait, and that same minute, Munden came out to make a good save from Carruthers after a mistake by Henry.

Invicta went desperately close after 86 minutes when Ayling shot agonisingly past the far post and stretching Tait following a strong tackle by Everitt on Darren Davies.

Simon Glover’s late winner was another cruel blow for Invicta, although the visitors had a let off after 89 minutes when play was waved on after Glover went down inside the penalty area after a challenge by Lindsey.
dr martens 1b99 late winner ousts Folkestone