leopard dr martens League Cup success for Sussex trio

But there was not such good news for returning skipper Luke Anderson. After returning to the squad following an ankle ligament injury, he left the action after just 25 minutes with a recurrence of the same problem.

Ben Judge wasted two good opportunities after the break before Reds finally got back on terms.

Dartford, who had Tom Ablington dismissed in the second period of extra time, wasted the chance to make it 2 2 when Roy Godden missed from the penalty spot.

Hastings took the lead on 39 minutes when Danny Simmonds converted a penalty awarded for a contentious handball.

St Leonards came back from Saturday’s heavy league defeat with a spirited performance in a 4 2 defeat at Burnham in their Dr Martens League Cup first round tie.

They twice held the lead but were undone by a four goals spell in 11 minutes early in the second half.

Saints took the lead through Des Boteng after 15 minutes and held out until the hour when Jon Norris nodded Burnham level from a corner. Five minutes later Saints restored their lead through Tony Reid.

Norris then struck again twice in three minutes to put the home side ahead for the first time and Saints were undone chasing the equaliser on 71 minutes when Nicky Campbell ran through unchallenged to make it 4 2.

Eastbourne Borough moved into the second round after a pulsating 3 1 extra time win over Fisher Athletic.

Garry Wilson’s men were trailing for the lions share of the game and it was only a 90th minute goal from Nathan Godden that saved them from elimination.

Borough fell behind in the eighth minute when Ray Powell was left with a simple tap in after Tosteo Kwashi’s shot had been partially saved by Dean Lightwood.

Fisher threatened to score a second before the interval but it was a different story in the second half as Borough tore the Fisher defence apart.

John Westcott was the big danger on the right but his work looked as if it would be wasted until Godden rose to head in Matt Crabb’s free kick in at the far post.

Five minutes into extra time Matt Allen got the faintest of touches on a Ben Austin shot that put Borough ahead.

Allen netted his second in the 112th minute after Crabb’s shot had been parried by the keeper.

THE misery continued for Saltdean last night after they suffered another heavy defeat, this time at home to Ringmer in the second round of the RUR Cup.

Goals from Spencer Mears, Glen Davies (penalty), Jason Reid and Tony Holden earned Ringmer a 4 0 win. The Tigers have conceded 27 goals in four games.

First division Selsey won 2 1 at Division Two leaders Shoreham in a third round tie. Lee Stevens’ first half brace put Selsey in control before Darren Annis pulled one back with 15 minutes to go.

In the third round of the John O’Hara League Cup goals from Russell Harwood and Davis earned Horsham YMCA an excellent 2 0 success at Peacehaven.

In the first division Arundel ran out 3 0 winners at Chichester City United to climb into fifth place. Jason Wimbleton (2) and Nick West were the Mullets’ marksmen.

The top two in the league met in the second round of the Floodlight Cup and a crowd of over 300 saw Burgess Hill win 2 0 at Three Bridges thanks to goals from Tim Brown and Phil Churchill.
doc martens wellies League Cup success for Sussex trio